word count for essay

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

word count for essay

by cmal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:14 am
Hi

whats the word count for essay - i.e the personal statement ?
I know it is different for different school but whats the general word count for personal essay not for the specific questions.

thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:04 pm
Hi,

I'm not sure that there is an answer to your question (or maybe I don't understand your question). Most schools have three essays. Some have four. Usually the school will either give a word count (usually 500 words per essay or 750 words per essay) for the essays or a length requirement (usually two double spaced pages). A few schools have shorter essay answers (250 words) and some don't give limits at all. There isn't really a "personal statement" although sometimes one of the essays will be a more standard question asking you to discuss why you want to go to business school (and this might include "personal background" or "professional/personal experiences to date", etc.).

Some schools, such as Stanford, will give you questions and give you a total word count (1800 words) and let you divide them up as you see fit.

Hope that helps!

Jessica
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options