what does this sentence mean?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

what does this sentence mean?

by Hanxiong.Jiang » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 am
"One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast cereals in the early 1900s as a result of the growing number of automobiles, which led to a decline in horse ownership and a subsequent grain glut; by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, market equilibrium was restored."

As I write above, I dont understand what 'which' refers to in the sentence. Besides, it says "market equilibrium was restored", why?
Plz help...

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 am
"One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast cereals in the early 1900s as a result of the growing number of automobiles, which led to a decline in horse ownership and a subsequent grain glut; by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, market equilibrium was restored."

As I write above, I dont understand what 'which' refers to in the sentence. Besides, it says "market equilibrium was restored", why?
Plz help...

Which - "the growing number of automobiles"
Market equilibrium - " Cereals once fed by horses is eaten by humans "

Please correct me, if wrong.

Thanks,
GK

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 am
Logically, I can understand that "which" refers to "growing number of automobiles" but not sure if this line is can be considered right from the SC point of view. Since "which" will refer to "automobiles" alone.

Need experts comments.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 am
gmatkiss is correct.