Veritas Verbal Class

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Veritas Verbal Class

by kunalmmehta » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 pm
After doing lots of research and recommendations by forum members, I finally enrolled in Veritas Verbal focus weekend class. I am from engg. background and I purchased Manhattan guides for the quant section of GMAT. I am from Houston, TX and Veritas does not have any full time class until mid May. I don't want to delay my GMAT preparation until May. Is it okay to prepare quant section with the prep class or should I enrolled in quant focus weekend class too? Someone please guide me. I need a gd study plan to master the quant section.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:14 am
kunalmmehta wrote:After doing lots of research and recommendations by forum members, I finally enrolled in Veritas Verbal focus weekend class. I am from engg. background and I purchased Manhattan guides for the quant section of GMAT. I am from Houston, TX and Veritas does not have any full time class until mid May. I don't want to delay my GMAT preparation until May. Is it okay to prepare quant section with the prep class or should I enrolled in quant focus weekend class too? Someone please guide me. I need a gd study plan to master the quant section.
It would be helpful,I think,if you post this question in the Ask Veritas Representative forum.
You can expect a better reply over there.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 am
kunalmmehta wrote:After doing lots of research and recommendations by forum members, I finally enrolled in Veritas Verbal focus weekend class. I am from engg. background and I purchased Manhattan guides for the quant section of GMAT. I am from Houston, TX and Veritas does not have any full time class until mid May. I don't want to delay my GMAT preparation until May. Is it okay to prepare quant section with the prep class or should I enrolled in quant focus weekend class too? Someone please guide me. I need a gd study plan to master the quant section.
I think you definitely made a good decision by enrolling in the verbal focus. That class was great for me. I got a lot out of it. I think Veritas does the best job with verbal that I have seen from any prep company. In terms of math prep, if you already have the math guides from Manhattan, just go through those in order, and after you take the verbal class with Veritas take a paractice CAT and see how you're feeling about the quant. If you're feeling like you need a course, sign up for the veritas math course, if you feel prepared, then you should be good to go. Good luck.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Hi Kunal,

It's great to hear that we'll have the opportunity to work with you - we're looking forward to your class! If you're taking the next Verbal Focus course in Houston, you'll be working with Burak Powers, who is one of our highest-rated and most-beloved instructors (on our old handwritten evaluation forms, students would rate instructors on multiple dimensions on a 10-point scale; Burak led the faculty in "write-in elevens" for his students deciding a perfect 10 simply wasn't enough!).

Here's what I'd suggest given your timetable and situation:

-See how you do over the next few weeks with self-study on the quant section; like Osirus mentioned, if you take a practice test, even only on the quant side, you can get an idea of where you stand and how likely it is that you'll be able to get where you need to on your own

-If, within a few weeks of the verbal class, you determine that you're going to want some help on the quant, too, you can always enroll for that weekend (and just pay the difference to upgrade from verbal-only to both weekends)

-Or, if you don't feel an entire class is necessary, but would like to focus on a few topics, as a classroom student of ours you can add on tutoring time to work with an instructor on an hourly basis, so you may want to consider doing a meeting or two to knock out a few topics that you just aren't getting completely on your own

So...you have some options, and it sounds like you're pretty confident that you can handle the math on your own. If you need a hand, though, we're here to help!
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kunalmmehta » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:22 am
Thanks Brian for your advise. I will follow your suggestion for the quant section.