Two year vs One year MBA program

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Two year vs One year MBA program

by kk219 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:39 am
Hello,

I'm looking to start my MBA early 2011 or fall 2011.I'm right now debating between 2 year vs one year MBA program.Along with all the reputed MBA program in US I'm also looking at international MBA programs.Institues like Insead(France), IMD(Switzerland),ISB (India) offer 11 months Full time MBA program.On the other hand institues like London School of Business,Pretty much all top 10 MBA program in US offer 2 years of full time MBA. Now they are all reputed MBA's.Question is which one provides more value for your money and time.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700

by asamaverick » Mon May 24, 2010 9:10 am
Hi,

Welcome aboard kk219, this is exactly the dilemma that I was in a few months ago. Some research and guidance from applicants and B-school students helped me put an end to this. So here is the answer that I got.

Actually there is no correct (solitary) answer for this; I know that will sound disappointing. Basically both these programs (the 1 year and 2 year) are equally attractive and suited a specific group of people. The important this is to identify which group you belong to. This is precisely the reason that most of the ranking try not to come up with separate ranking for each of the category.

Here are the key things that one needs to consider:
"¢ Where exactly are you in your career path? Can you take a 2 year break for MBA? A general observation is that the younger lot would prefer the 2 year program whereas the older ones prefer the 1 year program.
"¢ Will you be able to sustain without an income for 2 years, and still be fine with any debt that you might have to get into to finance your MBA?
"¢ 2 year programs give you the option to do an internship. This has two potential benefits: 1) Better chances of getting a job. 2) A first look at what you will be doing after your MBA, I personally think this is very important to prepare you for your life after school.

Apart from these, I think both are equally rigorous and intensive programs and there is actually nothing stopping you from applying to both of them.

If you were to use just a calculator the 1 year program definitely gives you more ROI. This is because you only pay for one year of tuition & expenses (although high compared to corresponding figures for 2 year program) and forgo only one years income. But if you take into consideration the internship opportunities, scholarship/fellowship opportunities and the extra time the 2 year program gives your to assimilate all that information, I think it offers a lot for you make up for the lost ROI.

I have not yet shortlisted the colleges that I am going to apply to. INSEAD, Tuck, MIT, Columbia & BU are the ones on my list now. So I do plan to apply for a one year as well as two year program. Which one I prefer, at this point I am not sure though.

Hope this helps.

by kk219 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:19 pm
Thanks for your respose maverick.Even though there are some definite advantage of a 2 year program (as you have mentioned in your post), our economy and world is changing so fast i'm scared that 2 years of break from a full time position might threw me back at the start of the line in the corporate world. Internship is one major advantage that 2 year program has over 1 year and less cost and less time is the advantage that 1 year has over 2 years assuming that MBA from Duke/Columbia is equivalent to MBA from Insead/IMD/ISB.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by student22 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:35 pm
From researching the two, the main difference between the 2 it seems, is the summer internship.

If you are interested in continuing down the same career path (industry) that you started, and you don't need that internship, then do the 1 year program.

However, if you are doing this to break into a completely different career, then that summer internship is extremely valuable, and you are better off with 2 year program.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon May 24, 2010 4:40 pm
I agree with everything that has been said, but, I'd also add that you need to consider where you want to work. A degree from INSEAD or IMD is fantastic if you want to stay in Europe, but, you may be better off with a 2 year US program if you want to stay in the US. And, in the US, often people pursue the condensed one year programs when they are staying in the same field or at the same company. That is something else you may want to consider. And, your network/friendships/connections are also stronger the longer you are with your colleagues which is another argument for a 2 year program.

I wouldn't worry too much about the income/debt portion. You make a fair amount of money during your summer internship (albeit not a full year's worth of income but at least something). I know the economy is different now than when I graduated, but, my internship employer (with which I accepted full time employment) paid for my second year of school as well.

BUT, all the schools/programs you mentioned are great - you can't go wrong with any of the options.

Good luck!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Adriano Dornelas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 pm
Hello my friends, my name is Adriano Dornelas and I have been a seninor manager for Taurus Group in Brazil. I have 6 years of management experiencie in General Electric, Usiminas, Fluke Engenharia and Taurus Group. I have a huge doubt about 1 or 2 years MBA. Should I take a 1 or 2 years full time MBA?
Hult International Business School has accepted my application for 2012. Is there a difference for the American Companies? My plans is to go to Hult International Business School in Boston with my family this year and stay in US for some years. Let me know you thoughts and comments about this. Thanks in advance. Adriano Dornelas

by Adriano Dornelas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:52 pm
Hello friends, I forgot to say that I am from Brazil.
Do you guys know Hult International Business? Any word on that?
Regards,
Adriano Dornelas

by Lizza Kaushal » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:24 am
If you want to passed out your one year MBA with good marks than you should hire a professional an experienced teacher who will guide you properly.