Toll on Bridges

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

Toll on Bridges

by sivaelectric » Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 am
In order to expand the South Lake Bridge, the city is considering the addition of a $3 toll on vehicles driving westbound on the bridge. Consultants report that since 1,000,000 vehicles travel across the bridge in each direction every year, this toll will provide at least $3,000,000 toward the necessary repairs and expansion.

Which of the following is an assumption required to reach the conclusion proffered by the consultants?
  • A. Bids for the repair work will not significantly increase between now and when the contracts for the work are issued.
    B. The total number of people who commute between the east side of the city and the west side will not significantly decrease.
    C. The number of occupants per vehicle will not significantly increase after the institution of the toll.
    D. The number of commuters who use public transit options will not significantly increase from its current level between now and the institution of the toll.
    E. The number of vehicles that pass westbound across the bridge will not significantly decrease between now and the institution of the toll.
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sailendram » Tue May 31, 2011 2:34 am
IMO: A

any suggestion?
Few people in this world make mistakes in right direction.

by sivaelectric » Tue May 31, 2011 2:37 am
Sailendram buddy, please read the passage and the answers once again :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Tue May 31, 2011 3:03 am
IMO E

If it is expected to get at least 3000K USD from the brigde expansion, then the missing link is it is assumed that "The number of vehicles that pass westbound across the bridge will not significantly decrease between now and the institution of the toll."

For choice A--> Nothin g is mentioned about contract works or the issue is not with the repair etc.
The main issue is if it is expected to get extra fee from the expansion, what is the missing assumption behind the argument?

by dv2020 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:43 am
sivaelectric wrote:In order to expand the South Lake Bridge, the city is considering the addition of a $3 toll on vehicles driving westbound on the bridge. Consultants report that since 1,000,000 vehicles travel across the bridge in each direction every year, this toll will provide at least $3,000,000 toward the necessary repairs and expansion.

Which of the following is an assumption required to reach the conclusion proffered by the consultants?
  • A. Bids for the repair work will not significantly increase between now and when the contracts for the work are issued. --->repair work bids nowhere mentioned in the argument can be eliminated
    B. The total number of people who commute between the east side of the city and the west side will not significantly decrease. ---> total number of people cannot have any impact on the argument as revenue building factor is the number of vehiclea and the toll they pay there could be more or less commuters per vehicle and this math could be upset this way
    C. The number of occupants per vehicle will not significantly increase after the institution of the toll.---->again number of occupants were vehicle is out of bounds for this argument
    D. The number of commuters who use public transit options will not significantly increase from its current level between now and the institution of the toll. ---> number of commuters
    E. The number of vehicles that pass westbound across the bridge will not significantly decrease between now and the institution of the toll.--> bingo negate this one and the argument fails

IMO E is the answer

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by newton9 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:01 am
P: City is considering addition of a $3 toll - westbound. Currently x no of vehicles travel across the bridge

C: 3x amount is guaranteed.

My paraphrase: X is going to remain constant even after the institution of the tool.

Ans E matches with above paraphrase.

by sivaelectric » Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 am
Good discussion guys :) OA E

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 am
IMO E :)
i know its late but still :)