SC - Parallelism & Prep Phrase

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Parallelism & Prep Phrase

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:40 pm
Mrs. McGill's family discovered that a box containing documents owned by Mrs. McGill's great-grandmother had survived for the last thirty years in the attic and that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they.

(A) that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they

(B) that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to them

(C) that, according to the will inside the box, they were owed a large inheritance

(D) that, according to the will inside the box, to them was owed a large inheritance

(E) according to the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to them
Last edited by karthikpandian19 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ankita1709 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:00 pm
IMO C
Ankita

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:55 pm
Ankita,

It will be really useful, if you write reasoning for your answer too. It will help others to understand and make the forum better place to learn
ankita1709 wrote:IMO C
Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:55 pm
Notice that a huge section of this sentence consists of prepositional phrases; one can eliminate the section containing documents owned by her great-grandmother and the section for the last thirty years in the attic without substantially changing the meaning of the sentence:

Mrs. McGill's family discovered that a box...had survived... and that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they.

The two "that" statements should be parallel--the family discovered that the box had survived and that they were due to inherit money.

The errors exist at the end of the sentence: the pronoun "they" refers to a subject (as in "they saw the movie"), but the pronoun "them" refers to an object ("the bear saw them"). The correct answer will turn "they" into a subject, or use the word "them" as an object.

The other error is the use of the adverb "accordingly." This sentence means to say that a fact was true "according" to the will, not "accordingly." An adverb should describe an adjective or a verb. In this situation, there is no need for an adverb.

Choice C is correct. This choice retains the parallel "that" clauses, uses the pronoun "they" as a subject, and changes "accordingly" to "according."

Choice B retains the mistaken adverb "accordingly."

Choice D uses an awkward passive inversion; "to them was owed" is less concise and direct than "they were owed."

Choice E neglects to include the final "that" in the sentence, breaking the parallel structure--and according to the will, a large inheritance... is a fact that was also discovered by the family, so "that" should be repeated at the beginning of the clause.

Choice C is correct.
karthikpandian19 wrote:Mrs. McGill's family discovered that a box containing documents owned by Mrs. McGill's great-grandmother had survived for the last thirty years in the attic and that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they.

(A) that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they

(B) that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to them

(C) that, according to the will inside the box, they were owed a large inheritance

(D) that, according to the will inside the box, to them was owed a large inheritance

(E) according to the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to them
Last edited by karthikpandian19 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Karthik

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by umeshpatil » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:17 pm
Can anyone please explain the answer?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:52 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:Mrs. McGill's family discovered that a box containing documents owned by Mrs. McGill's great-grandmother had survived for the last thirty years in the attic and that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they.

(A) that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to they ....definitely wrong...needs them not they

(B) that, accordingly, the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to them....wrong since....large inheritance points to the will

(C) that, according to the will inside the box, they were owed a large inheritance ...correct

(D) that, according to the will inside the box, to them was owed a large inheritance ....unneccesary passive

(E) according to the will inside the box, a large inheritance was owed to them....E is wrong bcos a that is needed to make things ||
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:01 pm
I have changed the answer color for better understanding
umeshpatil wrote:Can anyone please explain the answer?
Regards,
Karthik