SC - Clauses

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Clauses

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:32 pm
Rising inflation, when combined with increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have a devastating effect on an entire generation of young professionals.

(A) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have

(B) increasing widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, which having

(C) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, a situation that can have

(D) widespread unemployment that is increasing, it can lead to a severe economic crisis, a situation that can have

(E) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations, having
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by umeshpatil » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:20 pm
Kartik, Please Post the answer

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:32 pm
Will post after couple of threads. What is your IMO and reasoning for this one?
umeshpatil wrote:Kartik, Please Post the answer
Regards,
Karthik

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:Rising inflation, when combined with increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have a devastating effect on an entire generation of young professionals.

(A) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have -----situations is wrong...since a crisis is singular

(B) increasing widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, which having ---increasing is meant to modify widespread so it should be increasingly

(C) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, a situation that can have ...i guess this is called absolute phrase

(D) widespread unemployment that is increasing, it can lead to a severe economic crisis, a situation that can have ....unnecessary that

(E) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations, having

whats the OA ?
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:42 am
OA is C

You reasoning is right.
1947 wrote:
karthikpandian19 wrote:Rising inflation, when combined with increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have a devastating effect on an entire generation of young professionals.

(A) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have -----situations is wrong...since a crisis is singular

(B) increasing widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, which having ---increasing is meant to modify widespread so it should be increasingly

(C) increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, a situation that can have ...i guess this is called absolute phrase

(D) widespread unemployment that is increasing, it can lead to a severe economic crisis, a situation that can have ....unnecessary that

whats the OA ?
Regards,
Karthik

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jimmyjimmy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:31 am
narrowd dwn to C and D, took D

thought "," before can in option C was not proper!!!!!

pls correct me

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:44 pm
Rising inflation, when combined with increasingly widespread unemployment, can lead to a severe economic crisis, such situations can have a devastating effect on an entire generation of young professionals.

Rising inflation..........(ignore always things within commas, as they are additional info).....can lead to a severe.....

So, this sentence is perfect with a subject and verb.
In D, there is no main verb
jimmyjimmy wrote:narrowd dwn to C and D, took D

thought "," before can in option C was not proper!!!!!

pls correct me
Regards,
Karthik