profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation

by myshotatmba » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am
Hi Stacy,
pl evaluate my profile for 20-40 ranked colleges, second deadlines, for General management

Academics
B.E. from MIT,among the top private schools of India in E&C
GPA 3.8

GMAT 670(49,32) , 4.5 (planning to retake soon)

work ex:
2yrs in an IC design company (motorola spun off), as a design engineer

extra curriculars:
active in sports, was college captain for an yr, university level athlete, good record since school days.Also active in dance,drama etc since school days.Participate and help organize sport events and cultural weeks at india design center of my company .

community service:
Assist Dad in a self owned NGO in my hometown, participate and help organize community relation activities at india design center.

Queries,
1) I feel GMAT score is currently a week point in my profile.My friends and colleagues applying from India,all have a score of 700+. So i plan to re-prepare and take gmat again by nov end . Pl tell me if thats a good idea?
2)Does any university require 3 LORs?
2) If Yes, I plan to take the third LOR from the CFO of my company, though he has not supervised me directly, i helped him in cost cutting program of my company and he can provide a good insight in my extra curriculars and community service at FSL. Does it makes sense to ask him for a LOR, pl guide?

Thanks & Rgds[/b]

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:27 pm
Dear myshotatmba,

I do think it is a good idea to retake the GMAT. While a 670 is a good score, increasing it will make you more competitive. In the event you apply with a 670 though, I still think you will be competitive for some schools in the 20-40 range. There are schools that require 3 rather than 2 recommendations, so you want to have someone in mind. The CFO sounds like a good choice as you worked with him directly and he can speak to your other activities. Focus on your retake and putting together strong overall applications--I think you will be at business school next fall if you do.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation continued..

by myshotatmba » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:36 pm
Hi Lisa,

Thankyou for the encouraging reply. Just want a clarification on my previous ques.
I have not worked under CFO directly, it was a cost cutting project for the company which he was handling, and he asked my help to collect the necessary data. Except that i never got a chance to work with him. Though he has observed and appreciated me for my efforts in orgainizing and participating in cultural events and community relations week at FSL. Do you still think its a good idea to ask him for a reco?

I am planning to keep this as the third reco, which some colleges might need.
Thanks & Rgds,