Please evaluate my profile, targeting sept 2011 admissions

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I have scored 640 in my first gmat attempt and 540 in second attempt.
I want to go ahead and apply in round 2 score 640.

I am Indian male/27,
5+ years of work ex in IT software telecom. Recently promoted to project lead.
GPA- 2.4/ 4.0,
Engineering from IIT(Top collage in India)

Targeted b schools for R2 are,

1. York university, Canada,
2. Rotman, canada,
3. NUS, singapore,
4. Nanyang singapore,
5. smeal, penn state, USA

Reasons for selecting the above are,

1. R2 deadlines for above schools are 1st feb.
2. Avg gmat score.

Please let me know if i have aimed high or low.
If i work on the other parts of the application such as essays and recommendations,
I should be able to manage an admit.

Please suggest.

Will the decline in gmat score from 1st attempt to 2nd attempt hamper my chances of admission?

Pramod

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm
Hi Pramod,

A couple of points:
First, the schools will see all your GMAT scores, not just the one you put on the application. The good news is that most schools use the higher score for all applicants.

Second, you are very late starting for the second round. Your applications are due in less than a month. I find it takes 2-6 months to get a good set of applications together. You need to be prepared to devote considerable time to your essays if you are to make the second round deadlines. You might consider the help of an admissions consultant to show you the most efficient way to tackle your essays.

Your 640 GMAT is well within the range for the schools on your list. Be aware, however, that a good score is no guarantee of admittance. You will be competing against many high-scoring engineers from India. Schools regularly turn down students with outstanding GMAT scores simply because they don't have room for all their applicants and because they seek to "balance" a class. To be accepted you will have to show why you will be a better contributor to the class than will the next applicant. They will be looking for insights into poorly-represented fields and for evidence of leadership. A key concern is that engineers often are individual-producers and have not shown an ability to get things done through others. To the extent that you offer leadership and unusual insights you should emphasize those in your essays. Avoid generalities. Reread your essays and ask whether they could have been written, simply changing a few dates and names, by many of your competitors. Be very specific about your strengths and achievements.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pramod_d » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:38 pm
Thanks a lot for your advice Tani. I know that i don't have much time to prepare my essays. I will try to emphasize on the points you have mentioned. Thanks once again.

Pramod

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 pm
Good luck. Be sure to make your strengths clear and focus on answering the question exactly as it is asked.
Tani Wolff