Old Prep question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Old Prep question

by ankit1383 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am
A study of children of divorced parents found that 10 years after the parents' divorce, children who had been under six years of age at the time of the settlement were not preoccupied, nor even very curious, about the reasons that led to their parents' divorce.
(a)
(b) Not preoccupied with, or even very curious about, the reasons for their parents' divorce
(c)Neither preoccupied, nor even curious, with the reasons that led to their parents divorce
(d)Neither preoccupied with the reasons that led to their parents' divorces or even very curious about them
(e) Neither preoccupied with the reasons that their parents divorced nor even curious about it

How can you select between B and C
Not...or usage
Neither...nor usage....
Please explain.....

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

Re: Old Prep question

by vittalgmat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 am
ankit1383 wrote:A study of children of divorced parents found that 10 years after the parents' divorce, children who had been under six years of age at the time of the settlement were not preoccupied, nor even very curious, about the reasons that led to their parents' divorce.
(a)
(b) Not preoccupied with, or even very curious about, the reasons for their parents' divorce
(c)Neither preoccupied, nor even curious, with the reasons that led to their parents divorce
(d)Neither preoccupied with the reasons that led to their parents' divorces or even very curious about them
(e) Neither preoccupied with the reasons that their parents divorced nor even curious about it

Not...or usage
Neither...nor usage....
Please explain.....
I am not sure. but I prefer B over C.
B uses "curious about" which I think is correct usage.
In C the two phrases are parallel but the ending is not correct. To explain better
Neither preoccupied with the reasons
nor even curious with the reasons. <---- here curious with sounds ackward.

What do u guys think ??

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:17 am
in the same clause

not st....or st

neither st...nor st

in the different clauses

neither clause.... nor clause

B is wrong because we need "preoccupied with"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by sakurle » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:21 am
Neither preoccupied nor curious sounds correct. I am neither sad nor angry. vs I am neither sad nor even angry.

IMO B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sonu_thekool » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:51 am
I would go with B.

C sounds awkward 'Neither preoccupied, nor even curious, with...'

What is the OA ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Old Prep question

by pbanavara » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 pm
ankit1383 wrote:A study of children of divorced parents found that 10 years after the parents' divorce, children who had been under six years of age at the time of the settlement were not preoccupied, nor even very curious, about the reasons that led to their parents' divorce.
(a)

Not...or usage
Neither...nor usage....
Please explain.....
C - "Neither preoccupied, nor even curious' with - is unidiomatic or even just plain wrong.

preoccupied with - is correct however
curious with - is wrong ... curious about is more apt.

I don't think 'nor even' is the right usage either... many issues with option C.

- pradeep
In the land of night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead
https://questor.blocked

GMATPREP1 - 550 (Oct 08)
MGMAT FREE CAT - 600 (Dec 08)
MGMAT CAT1 - 670 (Jan 09)
MGMAT CAT2 - 550 (Jan 09)
MGMAT CAT3 - 640 ( Feb 09)
MGMAT CAT4 - 660 ( Feb 09)

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:30 pm
IMO B

Correct as preoccupied with and curious about are correct idioms

preoccupied with is correct but curious, with sounds awkward