Need Some Serious Help 550!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Some Serious Help 550!

by FTHEGMAT » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm
Hi All,

I took the GMAT today and scored a shocking 550 (Q47 & V20)- I was expecting at least a 650.

Had a lot of anxiety, felt nervous 2/3 into the exam, and light headed at times. Also, I lost my focus halfway into the quant section.

I find my verbal score to be the most shocking of all, I was consistently scoring anywhere between V30 to V35 on my practice CATs and my last two GMATPrep scores were:

GPrep 1: 620 (Q47 & V29)
GPrep 2: 660 (Q49 & V31)

Honestly, I'm really not sure what to make of it but I can say this I felt brain dead throughout the verbal section and every question seemed difficult and did not make sense to me..

I'm thinking it may of been due to endurance and anxiety..however I would like to reattempt and shoot for a 700 as I now know what to expect on test day.

Just not sure where to start..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 am
Hi,

It seems like you've properly defined what went wrong on Test Day. My question is WHY do you think it happened?

To help you answer THAT question, could you describe what you were doing for the last week before you Test? Did you take a lot of practice CATs? Did you have trouble sleeping? Were you sick?

Also, when you took your practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time, or did you skip any of the sections (Essay and/or IR)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by atishay78 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 am
Hey,

I faced exactly the same problem.
550 (Q46 V21 IR4 AWA6).
Got messed in the verbal section. Even my score in the mocks were an average of 30.
I did revise extensively and solved a few mocks one week before the real GMAT. One day before the exam I was relaxed and only revised certain important points till about 12 pm. The next morning I went for the exam with a cool mind and after a good nights sleep and a good breakfast.
I yet do not know what went wrong. I was blank during the verbal section. Everything seemed really hard to answer. As for the quants, it wa going great till once question of sequences where I made a silly mistake which wasted a lot of time. I got a little hyper after that but managed to get a 46.

I have now taken up the Economit GMAT tutoring. They seem to be good and get you to learn the stratergies right from the start.

Please help !!