Need help with Verbal....

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help with Verbal....

by kchan133 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:38 pm
Dear all,

I was enrolled in a GMAT preparation classes for 2 months, thought that it will help me to prepare my exam which is 25 days away from today.... Highly disappointed experience with the class (it's expensive too)... the instructor only went through simple math equations and English grammar in class, only went through a few basic examples in class (no advance questions discussed in class). No homework assigned, all student literally study with their own pace. During the class, the instructor did not assign any full length exam practice, only emphasize to student that we should not worry too much about the time. After 2 months, I didn't feel any improvement at all. Now, I only have 25 days ahead of me. I was a bit depressed, trying to practice as much as I could (with a busy FT job) using the BTG practice software, and noticed I can't even crack the easy verbal questions.... I did a free GMAT exam trial recently, and I didn't even able to finish all questions in the Quan section (I normally did pretty well in the math section)!

Any tip to help me to pull myself together? I need to build some confidents and solid skills in this short period of time...

Many thanks for your suggestions and help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun May 29, 2011 10:13 pm
Hey! I am sorry the response is a week late and now you have only 18 days to go for your test.

I have a strong suggestion, Postpone your test. Three weeks is too less if your confidence is low. By rescheduling you will lose a few dollars, yes. But better than losing 250 dollars and getting a bad score. Think about it.

But if you really need to give the test, work on all the OG problems. Learn all the concepts in each problem. Don just solve it, learn the concepts.
For SC, I suggest Aristotle SC Grail. You can learn atleast the important rules.

I will send you an PM with a few useful materials if you are interested.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by kchan133 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:18 pm
Thanks vineeshp,

Excellent suggestion. I changed my plan and postponed the test to early July.
Any materals that may assist my study is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
K

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 am
Hi Kchan,

What was your score on the GMATPrep diagnostic test? Also what books/questions have you already solved? Which areas do you need specific help on?

If you can answer a few questions it would help us to fine-tune the response.

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

by kchan133 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am
First test: Q31 (ran out of time, miss 9); V22 (missed 3); T450
Second test: Q42 (ran out of time, miss 6); V23 (finished); T540

I used mostly OG 12. I made a big mistake that I did not time myself when solving problems.
I am also weak at verbal.

Many thanks for your help.