Need GMAT Study Plan

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need GMAT Study Plan

by kunalmmehta » Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am
I am confused with all the available GMAT study materials i.e. the problem of plenty. I have all the Manhattan Quantitative Strategy Guides along with OG books. Also I have completed the weekend course with the Veritas. I must say that Veritas course was very helpful. I need to prepare a proper study plan. My question is which books to refer (or follow) and in which order. I need a robust study plan. Please help!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 am
Since you took the Veritas course (I'm assuming you still have all of the Veritas books) and you already have the Manhattan math guides and the OG, you don't need any more books.

If I were designing a study plan with those materials this is what I would do.

I would spend 2 days a week on math, 2 days a week on verbal and one day mixed review (try to study for 4 straight hours to build stamina for the real exam. 1 day a week take a practice exam (only when you feel ready).

On the math days, I would go through the Manhattan Guides, the only thing I would skip from the Manhattan Guides are combinatorics, probability, and statistics. Veritas does a better job with these topics than Manhattan. Everything else is pretty similar, so there won't be any conflicting strategies or anything like that. After you go through the Manhattan Guides on your math days, go through all of the Veritas Math guides.

On the verbal days, begin with the Arguments book. Once you know that one really well, move on to the other verbal books. After you have completed all of the verbal books and all of the math guides, begin taking practice CATs once a week. Continue to study and review old materials. Use the 1 day a week to study old material. For example, let's say you go through Critical Reasoning 1 and Combinatorics and probability during the week. On the one day that you do mixed review, review problems from those two guides. Let's say the next week you go through Sentence Correction 1 and Problem Solving and Statistics, review problems from those two books on your mixed review day, but also review problems from Critical Reasoning 1 and Combinatorics and Probability. Continue to do this all the way until your test day. Good luck.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kunalmmehta » Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 am
Thanks Osirus for your feedback.
I have completed reviewing all the concepts and strategies I learned from Veritas weekend course. I need to start practising myself under time constraints. Do I need to review the Manhattan guides for additional quantitative concepts before practising the problems? I thought Veritas would have covered all the concepts we need to know for the GMAT. For your information, my target GMAT score is 720 and planning to take official test in mid July.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed May 12, 2010 9:29 am
If you feel like you have a good handle on all of the concepts, then I would just do practice problems every day, and take a CAT once a week. That is essentially what I am doing right now myself. I just think that it would be a good thing to go through the materials again after the course, to make sure everything really sinks in, if you feel like you understand everything though, just do practice problems from the Veritas books and the OG.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.