MGMAT SC Confusion

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

MGMAT SC Confusion

by dhonu121 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:31 am
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

(a) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
(b) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
(c) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
(d) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
(e) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

OA:D

My doubt is regarding B.
B is so simple and concise, plus it is not using the confusing would as D does.
Why is then B wrong ?

Can't we, in the future, tell about two things of the past keeping both of them in simple past and still the meaning is relevant ?

D on the other hand, sounds more wrongly written to me.
One part of D is in future and the other part is in the past.

I read this sentence in another MGMAT test which was correct.
It was not long after the 1930s commenced that such baritone singers as Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo contributed to the popularization of a type of romantic, soothing singing that came to be called "crooning."
Here two things are mentioned about the past and both of them are in Simple past.
commenced and contributed.

They did not use had commenced and contributed.
Can anyone please explain, how is D the right answer and not B ??

Thanks.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:23 am
I agree with you, "One part of D is in future and the other part is in the past." is ambiguous.

Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:47 am
dhonu121 wrote:In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

(a) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
(b) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
(c) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
(d) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
(e) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

OA:D

My doubt is regarding B.
B is so simple and concise, plus it is not using the confusing would as D does.
Why is then B wrong ?

Can't we, in the future, tell about two things of the past keeping both of them in simple past and still the meaning is relevant ?

D on the other hand, sounds more wrongly written to me.
One part of D is in future and the other part is in the past.

I read this sentence in another MGMAT test which was correct.
It was not long after the 1930s commenced that such baritone singers as Bing Crosby and Russ Columbo contributed to the popularization of a type of romantic, soothing singing that came to be called "crooning."
Here two things are mentioned about the past and both of them are in Simple past.
commenced and contributed.

They did not use had commenced and contributed.
Can anyone please explain, how is D the right answer and not B ??

Thanks.
D is correct because with respect to 1860 we are talking about future. Though it is past when we see with respect to today. would is used as 'future in past' so its usage is justified in first case.
Hope this helps.

In the second statement ... there is no need for past perfect since sequencing is already evident by the use of 'it was not long after'
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:04 pm
the simple past in (B) means that the 2 events, '60 years to complete' and 'oxford dictionary was born', occurred simultaneously, which is definitely not the case. In order to show that '60 years' were completed before the the 'dictionary was born' we use Would as stated in choice (D)

hope this helps.