Manhattan GMAT CAT's for Quant

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Manhattan GMAT CAT's for Quant

by arindamcanada » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:42 pm
I have been silently following for this website for over a year now and I used to be inspired by the people who crushed the GMAT.

I tried practising the Manhattan GMAT CAT's (so far written 1 2 and 3). However I am completely thrown off by the level of the quants there. I have not yet taken the GMAT Prep (I decided to keep it for later) but I am just hoping that is not the level of Quants on the real test.

Is there a better quants practice CAT other than the GMAT Prep. I seem to be doing fine in the OG Quant Review and the OG 11. But Manhattan GMAT has really shaken my confidence of getting a 700+. Even when I am successful in answering some of the questions, some of them are taking 3-4 minutes and doing that on the test day will do no good.

I need some advice and encouragement!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:53 pm
arindamcanada wrote:I have been silently following for this website for over a year now and I used to be inspired by the people who crushed the GMAT.

I tried practising the Manhattan GMAT CAT's (so far written 1 2 and 3). However I am completely thrown off by the level of the quants there. I have not yet taken the GMAT Prep (I decided to keep it for later) but I am just hoping that is not the level of Quants on the real test.

Is there a better quants practice CAT other than the GMAT Prep. I seem to be doing fine in the OG Quant Review and the OG 11. But Manhattan GMAT has really shaken my confidence of getting a 700+. Even when I am successful in answering some of the questions, some of them are taking 3-4 minutes and doing that on the test day will do no good.

I need some advice and encouragement!!
The MGMAT CATs are good.
Analyse their scores.
Their quants are tougher so don't worry too much about them.
GMAT Prep is the most closer you can get to actually simulate the test as it contains old questions.
But on the test day,difficulty might be slightly higher than GMAT Prep.

Don;t worry too much about time taking.
You should be able to complete the section thats all.
If Problem Solving taking too much time,save time in Data Sufficiency section.
Don;t solve the questions completely.
Check for sufficiency and the move on.
Also,for quant try adopting shortcut techniques.Plug-in numbers would help you in saving time in this section.
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

GMAT Instructor

by mjsobo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:18 pm
Manhattan GMAT quant is notorious for being much harder than quant on actual test. Don't get discouraged, it's great practice!
Good luck!
Martin
GMAT Instructor with Grockit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 am
in reviewing our quant problems, we have noticed that they tend to be longer than official problems. i.e., the problem statements are often longer (and sometimes wordier), and the solutions sometimes contain a couple more steps than do the gmat problems on which they are based.

it's unlikely that they are actually more difficult, since they are very closely based on concepts from the official problems. (i.e., they are not replicas of the official problems, but they are based on the same concepts.) they're just sometimes longer.

this is something we are working on in our most recent renovation of the CATs - we're cutting them down to size, eliminating flourishes of words from the problem statements, and making sure the lengths are appropriate. but as far as difficulty goes, they should be on par with the real test.

--

this tends to be a particular issue for second-language english speakers, for whom the long problems tend to be proportionally more challenging than for native speakers.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by keps » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:08 am
Well I agree that MGMAT quant is much harder than actual GMAT quant. After giving 5 MGMAT CATs, when I went for actual GMAT, quant of actual GMAT seemed very easy. I got very easy questions as compare to MGMAT and never got those so called 700+ questions. However, when I received score it was 49 in quant.

I believe that go for MGMAT quant. No doubt it is tough but you will learn tons of new strategies from their explanations.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:16 am
keps wrote:Well I agree that MGMAT quant is much harder than actual GMAT quant. After giving 5 MGMAT CATs, when I went for actual GMAT, quant of actual GMAT seemed very easy. I got very easy questions as compare to MGMAT and never got those so called 700+ questions. However, when I received score it was 49 in quant.

I believe that go for MGMAT quant. No doubt it is tough but you will learn tons of new strategies from their explanations.
we appreciate your endorsement!
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by avaluxe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:31 am
Whew. I'm so happy to have found this thread! I was about to post something similar.

I took a Manhattan GMAT CAT the other day and was stunned by the difficulty of the quant problems. I ended up with a shockingly low 25 quant score when on other practice tests I've been receiving around a 38 (no math genius here!). For example, I'd never before seen a linear growth problem that wasn't able to solved with simple algebra; yet on the MGMAT CAT, there was a linear growth problem (something about a tree) with a solution that mentioned using the y=mx + b linear equation to solve.

I'm working through the OG, and finished all the problem solving questions without much difficultly, so this CAT threw me for a loop. Though it's been freaking me out, I appreciate the difficulty so I can learn new ways of solving problems and new formulas. I also appreciate the kick in the rear that has pushed me to study more and harder for my exam this Friday.