I gave the GMAT a little pimp-slap this morning

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710
Not a flat-out beating, but just enough to let it know who's boss. :)

Got a 710 ... Q48 V50

Not much in the way of traditional prep... I got an old Kaplan book (maybe from 2003...?) and went through EVERY question on there... went through every one that was wrong, found out why I got it wrong, etc. It wasn't as useful as I thought, however, since the Quant questions were easier than most of the questions I saw on the test, and I got very few of the geometry and probability questions I thought I would.

I also took two practice exams, timed, and got the EXACT same score on the 2nd one that I did on the real thing... Q48 and V40... how weird is that??

One thing that I did do which was helpful... for all of sentence correction problems I got wrong, I rephrased the right answer into my vernacular. For instance, if I got a problem wrong when the right answer was "With the exception of Sheila and me, everyone had gone to the ball game", I rephrased it into something like "With the exception of Jordan and me, everyone had taken a shot of whiskey". Studying a bunch of those was quite helpful!!

Also, during the Q version, I was getting freaked out... I was only 10 questions in with 45 minutes left... I thought I was completely choking. But I kept my composure, took a deep breath, and reminded myself that I couldn't spend 5 minutes on problems... if I couldn't get it in 2 minutes, it was time to eliminate the choices that it couldn't be, and take a guess from the rest if I needed to. I was able to finish all the questions without many wild guesses, and had 30 seconds to spare! :D Composure and focus is HUGE!!

Best of luck, y'all. :D
700+ or bust.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
50 in verbal :roll: !!!! Wow...I can only dream of that !!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on crossing the magic mark. If you have written down the rephrases that you talked about in SC, could you please share the notes with us ???

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by DownsJM1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:05 pm
I'm an idiot...I got a 40 in verbal, not a 50. Bad typo. Still got a 48 in Quant. Still a 710. Argh. Didn't mean to give false hope. I thought I did more on my Verbal... truth be told, I thought I hammered the V section. But I wont complain.

As for rephrasing... any question that I got wrong, I put the right answer into my vernacular... I'll try to post more examples later on, but I'm in the middle of my celebration, and my typing is affected... B-)
700+ or bust.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:35 pm
congratulations !

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:37 pm
WHO'S IS YOUR DADDY GMAT ? :)
LGTCH
---------------------