Got beaten by the GMAT. 1st attempt -640, 2nd attempt - 540

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I have been consistantly scoring 630/650 on Gmat prep tests. I knew i had to try something different to get to 700.
My general strategy was to spend more time on first 15 q. This time, i have experimented with the new strategy in the gmat exam itself. It bombed. I don't have any energy left to feel bad also.

I am thinking of going ahead and applying with my first score 640 for round two.
I know that b-schools consider the best score. but, will a low 2nd score impact the chances during admission process?
Please let me know.

Pramod.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pramod_d » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 am
I have posted here by mistake. Mods, please move to "I just beat gmat" thread.

Pramod

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by UGAdawgs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm
Pramod,

I am in the same boat. I took the GMAT the first time and got a 660 and took it today and got a 580. My applications are in, and I wrote in the optional essay for Darden that I was taking the GMAT again (for anticipation of today's test). Not sure what I should do. Avoid the issue completely even though I wrote an optional essay hopeful for better results? I'm so emotionally distraught about it that I don't think I would be in a good mindset to do better next time. What did you decide or what advice have you gotten about it?

Maybe I should apply to a program ranked in the top 30-40 to have a better shot?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 am
Don't worry. The Adcoms will take into account your highest score. So a 540 on the second attempt is not gonna be held against you.