GMAT Verbal Strategy - Manhattan or Kaplan

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys,

Ive been a big fan of this forum, it really has helped me improve my GMAT quantitative skills and Eric is a super cool fellow for posting his GMAT flashcards!!

I need some advice! I have all the verbal books of Manhattan (SC, RC, AND CR) and I have the Kaplan premiere live 2010 book. I dont know which one i should use for my verbal strategy and my test is one month away (I finished quant with Kaplan but I havent started anything with verbal).

The difference is the following:

Kaplan has broken down the verbal part of the GMAT into just three chapters with fifty questions on each verbal topic.

Manhattan has THREE BOOKS LOL!! i dont think i can completely finish all three books of manhattan in one month (i work as a consultant).

Guys, I really need help regarding my verbal strategy serious help!! lol!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

hmm

by JeffB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am
Definitely go through the Manhattan SC book, at least once.

Their CR book is good.

Their RC is a waste of time to read if you're a native speaker.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GMATaddiction » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 am
thanks a lot jeffb for your reply!

Im starting to feel the same way. Im thinking of going through the Manhattan SC but the rest im just going to do through Kaplan.

Three books for verbal is kinda outrageous in my opinion. I mean with all do respect but for the life of me i cant imagine studying more than two months for the gmat and i feel the way with Manhattan for verbal would take me a month to complete!

I mean seriously if u spend just a week on each book thats three weeks right there and only for verbal lol!

Anyways, thanks for ur advice! appreciate it!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by JeffB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:44 pm
Yeah - It really depends on the score you want to obtain. Sometimes it takes a month to obtain your desired score.

Good luck in your studies.