From 510(q47,v15) to 700 (q50,v35) in 4 weaks !

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello there . I am really glad that I posted my second thread here containing good news.

unfortunately I scored 510 at my first actual GMAT exam last month and I was pretty shocked when I saw my score on the screen claiming 510 and to be honest with you . world was not beautiful that day ! :( . specially because I was studying gmat stuff for over 3 months. books such as : Manhattan strategy guide pack, Kaplan verbal foundation , grockit , e-gmat and ... but unfortunately at the test time I did several stupid things that led to unfortunate score (510) .
when I came back to hotel I reserved another spot for 1 month later and I just focused on my exam strategies during the 30 days ,yes ! I did not study any thing special . I just reviewed RC passages of OG 11th , that was all !.

the day after exam I just tried to focus on my weakness of giving the exam ! and it seems somehow I was right :
here is my fatal list (advice included) :

1- I was so nervous, or better say curious about my score at every second of my exam ! . (my advice : DO NOT THINK ABOUT YOUR SCORE during the test ! - you have a lot of time after that ;) )

2- I put so much effort on AWA section : first I tried to do best on AWA section and after 1 hour I really felt I did a verbal section .. but who cares .. I wanted a high score for Awa . (guys do not put effort on awa :D at all )

3-I simply tried to be best at the EXAM : then Q showed up after 4 - 5 minutes break . (Q is my strength point) so I tried my best to answer every single question completely right . so after 6 - 7 th question .. tough ones showed up ... I mean reallllllly tough ! :D ... then I suddenly saw the timer and sad oh holly SHIRT ! ... there was a smudge on my T-shirt ... I could see it in the reflex of screen ... then I saw the real timer inside the screen and I said something like the latter one again .. there I had 20 minutes and 15 questions ... and to be honest with you I was at a real hard Q questions ..
and I was sure I couldnt deal with them at the remaining time. so I tried to sacrifice over 7 - 8 of them at the end ..
and unfortunately it costed me 47 on Q section :( .. I was so disappointed after the Q section .. because I know it wasnt as good as I wanted - usually I scored 50 or 51 on Manhattan cats. my advice ( never let Q question got you ! .. always check your time after every 5 question .. remember .. every 5 question ... about 8 minutes for first 20 questions
and every 5 question after the 20th 10 minutes ... at the last .. you will appreciate the 8 minutes extra of the 20 questions ;) ...

4- I was thinking about my Q and I tried to go on V .. I knew I should really do some thing awesome on V otherwise I would not score 700 or 700+ score (heh ... you can imagine my face when I saw 510 on the screen !! :D )
so I tried to be focus enough on my verbal timing :

67 - 5 (CR - SC)
58 - 10(always a 3 question RC)
48 - 15(CR - SC)
40 -20(2 RC one with 3 questions another with 4 questions)
30 -25(2 RC one with 3 questions another with 4 questions)
20 -30(no special RC)
12 - 36(watch out here ... there is always a tiny RC that can really confuse you if you dont store enough time
2 - 41

to be honest with you I was doing great until the 10th question .. after that a really hard RC question showed up with 5 questions ! .. I just tried to answer them .. but every question was as long as a paragraph then I realized that I had spent over 15 minutes for 5 question ! .. ohmy god .. 5 minutes in verbal means alot ! .. then I faced another hard RC with 5 questions and again I spent 15 minutes for that [pretty funny huh ?] then I saw the timer again ..
this time oh my holly shirt ! ... I did not know my T-shirt had some writing about religious until that time .. furthermore
I experienced same thing like the Q section ...
again random questions at the end for 7 - 8 question and ...
BOOM 510 !

advice : please sacrifice a hard question ! ... because the penalty is that you cannot answer the hard one neither the easy ones after that (because of time )

----------------------- That was all that I experienced at the first time ... and Because I really knew that 510 is not my score I tried for second time and I am really happy that I did that ...

My background

I am Iranian , and I study IT management in tehran university .

my Q is a little good and my verbal is my weakness point.

I studied gmat for 3 months , and my materials were :

Q :

Manhattan books ( they were really good ... - but if your math is good , it would be unnecessary to put more than 10 days on them)
OG - Math review and OG (best ever )

V:

CR : Manhattan CR . (didnt worth it)
CR - Bible (totally worth it)
OG

RC : Manhattan RC (was not bad , but I do not suggest it )
OG

SC :
1 - ***** Kaplan verbal foundation (5 star source . it really make your mind ready for Manhattan ) it can improve you to 50% : an smooth book that can prepare your mind for hard problems

2 - ***** Manhattan SC (it is advised to read it after the kaplan , 5 star aswell) can add 20% to your sc skills : It's just a pefect book , highly adviced to be reviewed , specially the Idiom's section

3 - ***** e-gmat (simply I can say A perfect source ...Its price is completely reasonable, and it really improves your SC abilities since it use several new concepts that I have never seen befor) can add another 20% to your sc skills !

I was introduced to this web site through one of friends, claiming his 70% ability in SC improved to 90%, and I believe he was completely right ! as far as e-gmat.com is not know compared with kaplan or manhattan , I think it is necessary to cite their advantages :

1 - the web site e-gmat uses a multimedia environment that make it pretty easy to understand the tough problems of SC, furthermore before any section's start you would be requested to take a mini quiz that helps you find out what are your weak points in the section .

2 - there is over 200 questions , and video explanation for each of them that was really helping . there were even a portal that helped me asked whenever I had a doubt about something , and it was answered at 24 Hours at most.

3- one of main problems was that I was not native speaker thus, I could not find out why some answer choices were FALSE AND WORDY . I was really triying to understand that why some answer choices are not true since they are completely right in structure . therefore I really enjoyed this web site facility that compares each of 5 answer choices with each other through Grammar focusing or Intended Meaning focusing.

4-their support were perfect , I was registered in several GMAT companies and they knew my exact time of exam, but they didnt even send me an email , except beatthegmat and e-gmat.com. In addition e-gmat.com instructors (Payal and Rajat) supported me by internet web calls for over 5 or 6 times, ensuring I am at perfect level. Rajat guided me through the month between my first and second attempt and he really helped me to find out , overworking do know solve your problem but focusing on weakness points can !

5-their course is really comprehensive , I could find out every necessary section in it

6-They keep their web site fresh , adding new sections or altering some concepts,materials that you can not find in books!

these three sources are really advised for SC.

I used grockit and beat the gmat practice bank
to be honest
beatthegmat questions were good at SC and Q sections
a little weak at RC
and so stupid on CR questions !

Grockit was really good . but timing on RC was not standard at all !

my CAT scores

before my first real exam
Manhattans : between 640 - 670 ...
Gmatprep : first time 500 (exactly the same thing as my real exam happened and I ran out of time)
the second time I scored 670 (with the time control management table)

my final advices :

1)Do not care about your score ! or you will regret it .

2)The Pearson people are so smart ! at the exam I was pretty sure that my Q was really tough but I could answer them correctly but suddenly 3 or 4 SUPER easy question showed up in row ! .. then I thought maybe I answered the hard ones wrong .. but immediately I remembered that I should not care about exam's score during the exam .. then I just answered them .. after that I understood that pearson people just wanted to trick me with easy question .

3)read LOTSSSSSSSSSSSS of RC passages and try to answer them at 2 min / Q .
it really helps you

4)Believe in your self ... I always imagined the phrase "People do not fail .. they just give up ! " at times when I was thinking about my score 510 ...
so just do not give up ! thats it ;)

at the end I wanted to thank :
Rajat and Payal : for their kind support

Stacey : for her articles and for her support

RON : for his perfect articles on manhattan.com I really learned from you RON .. but unfortunately I did not receive the answers that I sent you through the private message . guess you were busy . but thanks for your best articles ;)

and Beat the gmat forum because it really helped me

at the end , if you have any question or any thing that you think I can help you , do not hesitate to ask
Last edited by programming_max on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aspire_mba2013 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:55 pm
Nice debrief
Congratulations Man !!!
You can take a horse to the water but you can't make it drink !!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by navidnikoo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:24 am
Congratulations my friend!!!

You did great in a short period.It's quite unbelievable progress.

Best of luck in your educational endeavors;)

by John Besore » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm
programming_max, your story is inspiring. 510 - 700 is tremendous. I am looking to improve my SC and I already have MGMAT SC. I have read through it and have not been able to improve my accuracy beyond 60-65%. I was thinking of enrolling into either BTG practice questions, Grockit but now would give consideration to e-gmat and Kaplan Verbal foundation.As you have been through all of these, which one do you think would be most useful for Sentence Correction.

by programming_max » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:08 am
aspire_mba2013 wrote:Nice debrief
Congratulations Man !!!
Thank you :) . It was a total surprise for me as well :D

by programming_max » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:11 am
navidnikoo wrote:Congratulations my friend!!!

You did great in a short period.It's quite unbelievable progress.

Best of luck in your educational endeavors;)
Thank you navid for your kind post :)

by programming_max » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:23 am
John Besore wrote:programming_max, your story is inspiring. 510 - 700 is tremendous. I am looking to improve my SC and I already have MGMAT SC. I have read through it and have not been able to improve my accuracy beyond 60-65%. I was thinking of enrolling into either BTG practice questions, Grockit but now would give consideration to e-gmat and Kaplan Verbal foundation.As you have been through all of these, which one do you think would be most useful for Sentence Correction.
Thank you John, I really believe you can do it as well.
about your question I might say how much time have you got for your exam ?
if you've got more than 30 days, then definitely I would suggest you to review e-gmat.com because of their good material , good support and cheap price (40$ I think) . and about Kaplan verbal foundation .. I really do not think it is appropriate for you at this time , because you have already read the manhattan - SC . as I told you this is only, I think if you have problem with subordinate clause and phrase recognition or something like that .. just review the book from GOOGLE BOOKs . its free and suitable enough for you . because right now you know over 80% of this book.

BTG practice questions and Grockit are great .. both of 'em . but to be honest with you . I think the Grockit is more professional.However if you have more than 60 days. you can ask for BTG questions from the winners ,(I am one of them aswell ) :P.

at the end I really hope , you would find your targeted score
have fun ;)

by John Besore » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm
Thanks buddy,

I just took the free trial of e-gmat and am finding their approach very interesting.. will complete the course and hopefully will see my score improve too.

Any specific suggestion on how to use the course..