Essay Written using GMAT Write Software

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720
Hello Everyone,

I purchased the GMAT Write software to evaluate the standard of essays I write. I was very nervous about this and especially nervous about my Analysis of Issue essays. I wrote this essay and I got a 6.0 in all the compartments that they evaluate. Hopefully this is very similar to the e-rater that is used as mba.com claims. I have to say I BS'ed a lot and put in a lot of random facts that I made up. Hopefully I am not marked down for that :)

---------------------------
Read the statement and the instructions that follow it, and then make any notes that will help you plan your response. Begin typing your response in the box at the bottom of the screen.

"Clearly, government has a responsibility to support the arts. However, if that support is going to produce anything of value, government must place no restrictions on the art that is produced."

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
---------------------------

In the 12th Century, when the muslim rulers invaded India and took control of the sub-continent, the focus of academicians changed completely. Art was given the most importance among all issues of education and science was completely neglected. Not only did this have catastrophic effects in the social lives of people, but also Indian people paid with their blood for this wrong move by the muslim rulers. Art is an important factor of self-expression of the society and it flows naturally in the creative mind. The government support of art creates an imbalance and makes science and commerce suffer in the modern age. Countries are extremely competitive in the modern age and the focus has to be on technological education and advancement. Therefore, the government must promote and support science, which is extremely needed for the advancement of the country. Art will flow naturally even when there is no government support.
President Obama and Bush have consistently requested people to study science and commerce in the United States of America. The children in the USA are lagging behind their international counterparts of the growing super -powers India and China. This can be clearly seen in the Masters and PhD programs of the universities in the USA: MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Princeton are overflowing with Chinese and Indian graduate students who have a unique interest in the development of science. More and more Americans are choosing to study Arts, which has a very limited job market, and choosing to accept low paid jobs. Sooner or later these Americans loose their job satisfaction and end up in massive depression. A study in the United States last year surveyed job satisfaction among 1 million employees who have science or arts degree; 90% of the science degree holders were satisfied with their jobs compared to only 20% of the arts degree holders. Moreover the average salary of science degree holders was two times more than the average salary of arts degree holders. It can be clearly seen that this will become worse if the Government supports more and more arts.
Secondarily, art is a product of creative mind and unique vision. However, a lot of these modern creative minds are against many of America's policies. Many of these artists support hatred for different ethnic groups of the USA. This is indeed very harmful for the American culture and the American prosperity where unity is one of the most important aspects. Many artists initially start of with creative ideas but very soon loose their creativity because they run out of ideas. Without anything to do, they use their biases as part of the art and create nothing valuable. Government support for such artists is absolutely a disgraceful waste of public money, which is used for harvesting hatred.
However, a world without art is not a good thing as well. There should not be an quota system on art as suggested in the issue. Art is free and the mere placing of a government quota system is challenging the defintion of art. Art and life must have a very healthy balance. At no point should art be the most important thing, and at no point should art be completely non-existant. It is encouraged that all young Americans be allowed a choice to practice their interests in art in their free time.
Thus, as mentioned more and more students must be encouraged to take up science as this is extremely important to the nation's advancement - the most important consideration for the country's government. Life immitates art is a well-known saying, and art will always find a way to stay in our lives but it does not have to be supported by the government for the obvious reasons mentioned above. Similarly all forms of art that do not produce value must be discouraged because it is a waste of time for the individual who created it; this person could have become an Albert Einstein if he was supported by the government to create something valueable in the domain of science.
- Just one life, Just one chance

Visit my pre-mba blog - https://canadatousamba.blocked

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by greentealeaf » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 pm
hi,

you wrote a quite good article.

Just to find out, is it true that the GMAT write software only give you mark but not provide any explanation?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by arindamcanada » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:29 pm
Yes, unfortunately it posts a mark only. However, I tried both the topics and I got a 5.0 in the argument one, I myself knew I did not do an amazing job at the argument essay. It does have a rubric and it marks you against 3 criteria, but they claim that the e-rater is also very similar to the GMAT Write Software.
- Just one life, Just one chance

Visit my pre-mba blog - https://canadatousamba.blocked