Best Time of Year to take the GMAT?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Best Time of Year to take the GMAT?

by shom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:35 pm
Do you guys think that there might be a benefit at taking the GMAT at a certain time of year?

For instance, when GMAT application time is approaching (fall/winter), that the competition among test takers may impact that one's percentile. If there are less test takers, it may lead to lower competition and different percentile scores. It may even impact the level of difficulty on the exam?

A second thought...I understand that the new Official Guides (Orange Book) may be coming out in the spring of 2009. Do you think that the scores may go up after the newer guides are out because they are more representative of the current state of the GMAT?

In reality, I don't think this really impacts my personal studying as I will just try to do the best I can regardless of when I write it, but its interesting to think about.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:21 pm
If you are applying to schools Round 1 this fall, I recommend taking the GMAT in April or May. That way, if you need to retake you will have plenty of time to prepare for your second GMAT testing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the next edition of OG coming out right before your test. I highly doubt that there will be any effect on how the population performs.

It's funny that you should mention that concern though because I had the exact same concern when I was prepping. At the time I was using Official Guide Version 10, and about 3 weeks before my test, Version 11 came out. I decided to stick with my own material and was able to pull off a 720.

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm
The percentiles are calculated annually, so it shouldn't matter when you take the exam. Anyway, simply because there are more test-takers does not mean that the percentiles will be tougher.

I wouldn't think to much into this; just take the test at the time that works best with your study and application schedule.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 am
Sounds like good advice.
Thanks for the feedback guys!