About Shakespeare

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

About Shakespeare

by andrey_tsi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:41 am
When reading some of the most rich and beautiful speeches in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, when one stresses the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter, the lines take on an almost simpleminded, childish quality.

A. when one stresses the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter, the lines take on an almost simpleminded, childish quality
B. stressing the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter gives the linesan almost simpleminded, childish quality
C. if one stresses the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter, it gives the lines an almost simpleminded, childish quality
D. the simpleminded, childish quality of some lines results from the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter
E. the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter, sounds almost simpleminded and childish

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RumpelThickSkin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 am
E - Subject Verb Agreement. Here the part before the comma correctly modifies the subject. Best Choice IMO.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 am
IMO B.

A) The original sentence looks awkward to me.

C) 'It' looks awkward to me. I also believe C changes the meaning as it is not "the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter" that gives "an almost simpleminded, childish quality", It's the stressing.

D & E omit the stressing part all together. This changes the meaning.

B appropriately uses the gerund "stressing the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter" to indicate what actually makes the lines "an almost simpleminded, childish quality"

by RumpelThickSkin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 am
hardik.jadeja wrote:IMO B.

C) 'It' looks awkward to me. I also believe C changes the meaning as it is not "the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter" that gives "an almost simpleminded, childish quality", It's the stressing.

B appropriately uses the gerund "stressing the singsong cadence of iambic pentameter" to indicate what actually makes the lines "an almost simpleminded, childish quality"
Nice explanation! This makes sense to me. Does this SC look right to you? Also can you elaborate on gerunds and the best source to read up on their usage. Many thanks in advance!

by vijay_venky » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:14 am
Down to C and E, But in C, I think 'it' is ambiguous so would go for E.

OA please??

by RumpelThickSkin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 am
hardik.jadeja wrote:IMO B.

Nice explanation! This makes sense to me. Does this SC look right to you? Also can you elaborate on gerunds and the best source to read up on their usage. Many thanks in advance!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 am
RumpelThickSkin wrote: Nice explanation! This makes sense to me. Does this SC look right to you? Also can you elaborate on gerunds and the best source to read up on their usage. Many thanks in advance!
The sentence structure does look right to me. Not sure whether the SC is of GMAT quality though.

For Gerund:
You may want to refer following links:
https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/gerund.htm
https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/gerundphrase.htm

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by andrey_tsi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:34 am
OA B
hardik.jadeja, thank you for really good explanations.

Question for everybody:
Do you think that such kind of questions is good proxy for real SC from GMAT? The source is not one of the recomended books such as OG, Verbal OG, Kaplan etc... but it looks like harder than they.

by RumpelThickSkin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:42 am
hardik.jadeja wrote:
RumpelThickSkin wrote: Nice explanation! This makes sense to me. Does this SC look right to you? Also can you elaborate on gerunds and the best source to read up on their usage. Many thanks in advance!
The sentence structure does look right to me. Not sure whether the SC is of GMAT quality though.

For Gerund:
You may want to refer following links:
https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/gerund.htm
https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/gerundphrase.htm
Thanks for the links Hardik! Really helped out