600 to a 710

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

600 to a 710

by ajgovier » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:34 am
Oh I still remember that feeling I had on that day so clearly ... I was in my second Kaplan class and had received the results of my diagnostic - a 650! I got a 650 without brushing up on any math skills or ever looking at a GMAT question (I had never seen a data sufficiency question). So I figured 'great, I just need to brush up on my skills and learn more about the test format and I'll be in the 700 range no problem'.

Wow, was I wrong. I completed the Kaplan course - I'm pretty sure I was able to make it to every class (at least a make-up) and I completed the majority of the CATs and the homework assignments. I remember not loving Kaplan's strategy - my instructor once said we should be picking numbers for the majority of the test rather than solving - it was so much about the tricks rather than content. After the course was over, I set my date for the test about a month out and studied leading up to the test. My first attempt was almost 3 years ago and I scored a very disappointing 600. Disappointing because it was the second lowest I had EVER scored on any practice test. Most of my practices had been in the mid to upper 600s and even some in the 700s.

I decided to give Kaplan another shot, but this time I would enroll in the advanced course. I was able to take the course again at no charge because I had completed enough of the assignments and not improved above my first diagnostic. But there wasn't that much of a difference between the advanced and the regular course - still the same tricks. I even talked to my instructor one day after class and explained my situation - what my diagnostic, practice tests, and actual score had been. I told him I really wanted 700 plus. He said something like 'everyone wants 700 plus, but not everyone is capable of that'. Wow - how demotivating, I'm all for being realistic, but I would think that if someone can consistently score in the mid to upper 600s on their practice tests, they are capable of breaking 700 if they put the time and work in.

At some point along the way I realized my heart wasn't into it. I needed to take a break and I would attempt the test again at a later time. And then work kicked in big time, so before I knew it, almost 3 years had passed and I hadn't studied again. I knew I was approaching the 'now or never' time for me to go back to business school. So coming off one VERY busy season at work, I decided to keep the momentum going and traded in my work hours for study hours.

But first I knew I needed a new approach, Kaplan and I just didn't work well together. So I did my research and I found Manhattan GMAT. I decided to do self study because I couldn't fit any of the class schedules into my work schedule. I started studying in September of this year and really got going in October and November. I was probably studying at least 35 hours a week for a solid two months. I loved Manhattan GMAT's format. For me it focused on content first and would layer in a few tricks or strategies once the content was solid. So while I did find myself wanting to pick numbers and back solve some questions, I was able to understand what the question was actually asking me in the first place, which really helped. I set my test date for December 17th and starting taking my CATs (about 1 a week):
MGMAT CAT 1 - 640
MGMAT CAT 2 - 650
MGMAT CAT 3 - 660
GMAT PREP 1 - 720
MGMAT 4 - 700
MGMAT 5 - 700
GMAT PREP 2 - 710
MGMAT 6 - 720

About 3 weeks out from my test date I decided to hire a private tutor for a couple of sessions. I knew my test scores were right on the edge and I wanted to do anything I could to make sure I got that 700. I'm not sure how much the tutor helped, but it definitely didn't hurt. Then before I knew it, my test date had arrived. For the couple of days leading up to the test, I really took it easy. I didn't try to review any new content, I just did lots of practice problems from the end of the sections of the OG. The night before the test I had a glass of wine (to help me sleep) and watched a movie with my boyfriend. The next day my test wasn't until 2:00 PM; so I woke up, had breakfast, reviewed some flash cards, went for a run, showered, had lunch, and left for the testing center.

My testing center was over an hour away because I didn't want to go back to the one where I had scored the 600 - a little superstitious, I know. But I relaxed in the car, listened to some holiday music (my favorite), and gave myself plenty of drive time. I arrived to the testing center early and the staff there told me I could start early if I wanted. So I walked around a little bit to get my blood pumping after the car ride and then went in.

My essays were okay, I had built a template for the argument essay ahead of time that really helped, but overall I was just glad to get them done with and out of the way. During the break I drank some water, had a couple of mini Snickers, and went to the bathroom - the 8 minutes flew by, I just barely made it back in time. Math section was really comfortable. I let go of a couple of questions that I knew were going to eat up my time, but other than that I was able to submit solid answers for almost all the questions and I stayed right on or just ahead of my pacing. Another break with water, Snickers, and a bathroom break. Then onto the verbal. Oh my god the verbal. It was awful, something right out of my worst GMAT nightmare. I couldn't find the splits or the errors in the sentence corrections and so they started sucking up tons of time, my reading comp and critical reasoning questions weren't making that much sense either and so before I knew it, I was at least 10 minutes behind on my pacing. I seriously had a mini anxiety attack during the test, right there in the testing center. In a panic, I took blind guesses on at least 4 questions in a desperate attempt to catch up and get my head focused again. But honestly the rest of the test was a bad dream, I wasn't able to completely focus and I was submitting a lot of gut answers.

And then it was over. I was so upset because I didn't think there was any way I had come close to a 700 after that verbal performance, but with R2 deadlines approaching I had to submit my score. I pretty much died when I saw the result 710 (49Q and 38V), it was the most ridiculous sense of relief I have ever experienced. I have no idea how I pulled it off. I must have been somewhat lucky and, due to my conditioning over the last couple of months, my gut answers must have been more accurate than they felt. Whatever it was, I'm thrilled with the final result and so excited to retire my prep materials for good.

Good luck to everyone!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:58 am
Congrats on the 110 point jump and also on a great score. Good Luck!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gsbjake » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 pm
Congrats buddy, that's awesome.