How to study for the GMAT under one month

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
Ideally, you should give yourself about 2-3 months to study for the GMAT on your own. This will give you enough time to have good structure for your studies without feeling too rushed. For ideas on how you can create a good GMAT study plan, please visit my blog at: https://beatthegmat.blocked

However, it's not always the case that you will have 2-3 months free to study for the GMAT. We're all busy people and conflicts happen can happen. So what's the best way to prepare for the GMAT when you have under 1 month to study?

If you are a person who doesn't have much time, don't worry--I am convinced that you can still sufficiently prepare for this test. You only need to do two things:
  • Study the Official Guide books
  • Take as many practice tests as you can
My suggestion is that you go out and immediately purchase the Official Guide for GMAT Review (OG), 11th Edition, along with the OG math and verbal supplemental materials. Do as many practice problems as you can from these books and examine the explanations carefully. If you somehow manage to finish all these questions in a month--which will be difficult, since there are so many questions--REPEAT THEM AGAIN.

One epiphany that I had while studying for the GMAT was that the same question patterns are tested over and over again. When I actually took the GMAT myself, it almost felt like I was cheating because I was able to recognize so many questions from my OG practice--with a number or word changed here or there. You should practice only with OG when you are on a time crunch because OG is the only GMAT prep book that features actual (but retired) GMAT questions. By studying OG carefully, you will be able to pick up on the question and concept patterns featured on the test, and you will be prepared.

With a time constraint of one month to study, I would suggest studying OG like crazy during the weekdays and doing as many practice exams as you can during the weekends--perhaps 2 or 3 tests each weekend. Picking up question patterns from OG is one thing, but applying your knowledge to the test is another. Be sure to take your practice tests under simulated conditions and also carefully review the answers after each test. I would purchase the Kaplan GMAT and Princeton Review GMAT books--they have some decent practice tests. [Warning: Kaplan tends to underinflate your practice test score by 50-100 points. Don't be fooled!] On your last weekend prior to your test, use the GMATPrep software for your practice tests. GMATPrep is a free software you can download from MBA.com (and I think it also comes with OG), which exactly simulates the real GMAT exam (user interface, and actual retired GMAT questions). GMATPrep will be the best guage to determine how you will perform on the real exam.

In conclusion, try your best to devote 2-3 months preparing for your GMAT--use my blog (https://beatthegmat.blocked) to get ideas on how to structure your preparation. However, if you have only a month to spare, focus on OG and practice tests. You can still do a great job preparing for the GMAT under a time crunch.

Best of luck!
Last edited by beatthegmat on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

want to start my gmat preps

by gensup » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:32 am
just decided to take my gmat and do my mba, have been thinking about this for a while now.

what would be the best approach..attend a prep school or self study?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:49 pm
Hi gensup:

Welcome to the forum! Whether it is appropriate for you to study on your own or to go to a prep class (like TestPundit, Manhattan GMAT), depends on YOU.

If you feel like you can organize your own study schedule and devote consistent time each day, then I think that you'll be fine studying on your own. That's exactly what I did. If you want to read about how I organized my GMAT preparation, go to my blog: https://beatthegmat.blocked. This approach however takes a lot of discipline and planning of time.

Taking a GMAT prep course may be the appropriate route for people who think they will have problems mapping a good study plan themselves, or have problems with a fickle weekly schedule (for example, working different hours each week). Some people just need a little more guidance and external structure to successfully study for the GMAT--prep courses are a very popular way of studying.

One thing is for sure, however: You will not be alone in this GMAT prep process. Use this forum for all of your GMAT needs. The experts and community members on Beat The GMAT are here for you to provide support.

Best of luck!

Hi I wanted to know whether the contents of the official GMAT guide from 9th/10th and 11th editions different or what ?

I have 9th edition only. If the contents are different, I would want to buy the 11th edition. Can you kindly let me know the difference ?

Thanks,
Nath

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
ashok_l_nath wrote:Hi I wanted to know whether the contents of the official GMAT guide from 9th/10th and 11th editions different or what ?

I have 9th edition only. If the contents are different, I would want to buy the 11th edition. Can you kindly let me know the difference ?

Thanks,
Nath
Hi Nath:

There might be some overlap of content among those three editions, but my recommendation is for you to use the 11th edition if you can get access to it. 11th edition features the most recently retired GMAT questions, and ostensibly would be the most accurate representation of the current GMAT.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

My Upcoming test

by whodeani » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:24 am
Hey guys, I just heard about the wonderful benefits of using this forum. I am taking my GMAT test in the next few days. I have already gone through the OG several times now; especially for the math. As a side resource I have been using the Princeton GMAT book which has really helped me out alot in terms of understandig the approach to questions. I am still scared as hell though. How could I improve my reading comprehension, as I am losing alot of points here.
"Your Focus will determine your life."

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: My Upcoming test

by beatthegmat » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:28 pm
whodeani wrote:Hey guys, I just heard about the wonderful benefits of using this forum. I am taking my GMAT test in the next few days. I have already gone through the OG several times now; especially for the math. As a side resource I have been using the Princeton GMAT book which has really helped me out alot in terms of understandig the approach to questions. I am still scared as hell though. How could I improve my reading comprehension, as I am losing alot of points here.
Welcome, whodeani!

Please look at this post on reading comprehension, you might find it helpful: https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=76

Best of luck! Let us know how your GMAT goes...

by ttwang56 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:50 am
is there any available for data sufficiency help? thanks!

Followed by:1 members

Confused about timing!!

by puninder » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:20 am
Hi Eric,

I am planning to give my GMAT in Dec 08's second or thrid week (not yet booked). I am not sure if i wuold be able to get ready for it in next 80-90 days because im not a whizkid in studying + i am working 9am-6pm all weekdays.

Restriction is if not at this time i wont be able to give GMAT for another year as i am getting married in Jan,09 (so too much parties etc to attend 6 months post my wedding).

Good news is i have started preparing for it (though haphazardly). Currently i am working on arithematic and CR basics and practicing questions on basics. I am using NOVA GMAT currently as it helps me gulping all the necessary basics required for GMAT(this is what i believe). After this i plan to touch Princeton Review, Kaplan & finally OG.

Another good news is i have started gyming 10 days ago and i have started to feel more healthy than before, my concentration level has increased.

Now i am confused that whether should i give my exam in december or not, because im scraed(maybe) or im not sure if i will get enough time to study for the exam! One thing is sure i am not going to get time to study for 4 Hours on weekdays (As im on work).

Kindly help me in getting out of my confusion!

Cheers

Puninder

by thefmaster » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:58 am
Dear all gmatbeaters!

I need to take this Gmat very soon since I need to apply for my master in Europe (either London Master of Management, IE Master of international Management or Bocconi International Management)...

I have not much free time since I've to attend classes every day but I need to dedicate my free time to get the most out of this GTest!

Can you please update me on the latest book you suggest me to purchase to get a good but brief overlook on the exercices and practices tests?

I really thank you, hope to hear from you guys soon!

Simon
italy

Qns on how2study Gmat under 1 mth?

by BlackTulips » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:48 am
Hi Eric,

I am inspired by your posting.

Thanks very much.
Last edited by BlackTulips on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

by angad kwatra » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:22 pm
Hi
Im planning to give gmat after 6-7 weeks

Iv enrolled for kaplan Gmat prep course. I have given gmat once last year nd i scored a low 470.(q43, V9) . what i remember

i would like to know What is the difference between kaplan advanced and Normal in terms of study material?

by mbaabroad2011 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:08 pm
Hi All,

Yesterday, I appeared for official GMAT test and unfortunately I could score only 660 (49Q, 31V). I am not happy with the score and I know this is not a good score to target top 30 USA business schools. I am from India and have 6.5 years of IT industry exp.

I need your advice on retake of the test.
How should I prepare for retake? I have already gone through all Manhattan books (all quant and SC books- except CR book)?
How many practice test should I give? As I have already used Manhattan CATs, GMATPrep CATs, all major online free tests (Kaplan, knewton etc..)? Which CAT tests will be more usefull?

I want to apply in first round and the deadlines of most of the USA schools is in first week of Oct 2010. Keeping this in mind I should give the retake within a month so that I have some time to work upon the application. Please give your suggestion on this too.

In MGMAT and GMATPrep practce CATs, I got average of 690 (range: from 660 to 730).

At the moment I am totaly confused about what should I need to do. I request you to direct me in the right direction. I will highly obliged to you.

Thanks

by snoppy1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 am
I know some people who didn't do very well on their GMAT the first time but did quite well on it the second time. Test taking is a skill that can be trained and besides, there are few general rules for studying that usually lead to a successful exam.

by mbaabroad2011 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 am
snoppy1 wrote:I know some people who didn't do very well on their GMAT the first time but did quite well on it the second time. Test taking is a skill that can be trained and besides, there are few general rules for studying that usually lead to a successful exam.
Hi snoppy1,

Thanks for your kind response.

I am ready for second round of my GMAT test. In this 1 month after my first attempt, I did not study too much. When ever I start looking into the notes, I realized that I know all this. However, I am reviewing my all old notes.

I have given 4 practice tests in one month:

1. MGMAT: 710
2. PowerPrep: 690
3. GMATPrep: 720
4. GMATPrep: 740

I do not know whether I got the above scores due to repeat of many questions. But what I know is that I changed my test strategy. Now I focus on each question.

Before, first attempt, I also repeated the GMATPrep practice test but never scored more than 690. But yes I scores 730 on MGMAT.

I do not know what score I will get this time. I am confident that I can score 700+.

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks