question from OG 10th

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

question from OG 10th

by magical cook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 am
The answer is E; however, I dont know how the sentence can complete with the choice E... Can anyone please explain why E is the answer??
Attachments
sc question.doc
(53 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by maxim730 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 am
Hmm, I would probably choose between B and E.

Is that a period at the end of "....First World War."??

by magical cook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:02 pm
Thanks for the reply.

It's comma not a period after world war. If the answer is E, I just wonder how the two sentence gramatically connect without conjunction between them.

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:29 pm
"Being crippled" is incorrect.
C is incorrect too.
That leaves you E

by magical cook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:09 pm
Thanks for the replay.

Yes, I dont think other choices seem to be correct either, but I still do not get how the two sentences connects without conjunction.

His arm cripped
He worked by doing

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 pm
His right hand and arm crippled by a snipper's bullet during the First World War,Horace Pippin, a Black American Painter, worked by holding ............

This sentence looks good to me. It tells me how/when Horace became a cripple and how he continued to paint.

What conjunction are you looking for and why?

by magical cook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:26 pm
Thanks for replay again.

E looks ok if there is "since" or "As" before his arm cripped. that explaines why he has to work that way. but without conjunction like since or as to explain the reason, I think the two sentences can't connect...

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:37 pm
Umm, why do the two sentences need to connect? You seem to be looking for some kind of connection where there isnt any or even when there's no need of!

Imagine we were at Horace's art gallery and I was telling you something about Horace. Then I could tell you the entire sentence above and BAM!! you would know somethign about Horace!

Are you looking for "Horace worked (that way) because (of something) ??

His arm crippled, Horace worked by doing

by magical cook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:04 pm
Thanks Neo for taking your time.

so, two sentences without any conjenction is gramatically correct? (I think i was kinda stuck at this simple question...)

The conjenction dose not need to be since or because to explain, but I thought at least there should be AND to connect two sentences.

His arm cripped, "and" He workd by doing...

Then, I have no doubt but there is only a comma between two sentences.

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:58 pm
magical cook wrote:Thanks Neo for taking your time.
Any time :)

magical cook wrote:
His arm cripped, "and" He workd by doing...

AND would be incorrect in the above sentence. See, what the sentence does is to give us a reason why horace painted the way he did. The emphasis is on the way he painted, the WW part is the reason behind it.

by magical cook » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:45 am
Thanks Neo.

Ok....I think I got it. first of all, the first sentence is not actually complete sentence because there is no actual verb, so that means first sentence is modifying the subject of the second sentence.

Thanks for patiently explaing it to me!

Rina

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by maxim730 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:29 am
oooh, I totally didn't see the word "being" in B. E is the best choice available.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 am
aha thats a great explanation Neo
thanks for taking your time :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:12 pm
This is a great teaching question - we use it in class, actually. As neo pointed out, the opening clause is a modifier, not a complete sentence, so we don't need a coordinating conjunction to connect to the non-underlined portion. Also, some other reasons why the various answers are wrong:

(A) "Having" is the wrong tense - the sentence should be in past tense. "being" is used incorrectly.

(B) Meaning is wrong. He doesn't paint in this weird way "in spite of" being crippled, but because he was crippled. "being" is also used incorrectly.

(C) "Had been" is the wrong tense. For past perfect, the two events have to happen at distinct times. The bullet and the crippling are basically happening simultaneously.

(D) "The right hand and arm" is ambiguous. Whose hand and arm? Needs "his" instead of "the" to make sure we know we're talking about Horace's hand and arm. Also, "being" is used incorrectly.

(E) Sounds funny. But it's fine grammatically. This is how they'll get you to ignore / cross off a sentence that is grammatically correct - they make it sound funny but there's nothing actually wrong with it.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Followed by:5 members

by 800guy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:26 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:This is a great teaching question - we use it in class, actually. As neo pointed out, the opening clause is a modifier, not a complete sentence, so we don't need a coordinating conjunction to connect to the non-underlined portion. Also, some other reasons why the various answers are wrong:

(A) "Having" is the wrong tense - the sentence should be in past tense. "being" is used incorrectly.

(B) Meaning is wrong. He doesn't paint in this weird way "in spite of" being crippled, but because he was crippled. "being" is also used incorrectly.

(C) "Had been" is the wrong tense. For past perfect, the two events have to happen at distinct times. The bullet and the crippling are basically happening simultaneously.

(D) "The right hand and arm" is ambiguous. Whose hand and arm? Needs "his" instead of "the" to make sure we know we're talking about Horace's hand and arm. Also, "being" is used incorrectly.

(E) Sounds funny. But it's fine grammatically. This is how they'll get you to ignore / cross off a sentence that is grammatically correct - they make it sound funny but there's nothing actually wrong with it.
thanks so much stacey!!